Thursday, March 7, 2013

Mistress of Mellyn

Mistress of Mellyn

I read this book a long time ago and decided to give this book another go.  I am a sucker for Gothic romance novels.  Give me a moody moor, a mysterious and haunted castle, a cranky but handsome Master, and a young  naive governess and I will suck up the atmosphere like water in sand.   I thought this book would cure my fix for my Gothic romance.

Martha Leigh is a young woman of gentle persuasion  forced to work in the only line of employ available to women of her social status, as a lonely governess.  She makes it clear that she is not in the least happy about this.  She is however, determined to make the most of this.  The entire book she clearly is fighting against her status that society, her aunt, and even herself, has placed upon her.  She was annoying.  Ms. Holt tried very hard to make this book like Jane Eyre, but I kept waiting for the spooky part, but it never came.  The Master was never really convincing enough as a brooding sort of chap, he came and went in the book, and I had to wonder where the art of romance was in this book.  The love affair was flung at you as an after thought, and you were left wondering if they ever really loved each other at all. And the villain?  PLEASE.

Overall, this book disappointed and left me flat.  I am now moving on to higher Gothic moors.

I would give this book 2 out of five foxes.

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment