Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2013

brought to you by: the broke and the bookish


Jeni's Picks

1. My Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson: Fairytale retellings are so much fun and this one doesn't disappoint. 
2. The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen: I'm a big fan of historical fiction and Julie Klassen is one of my favorite authors. This book reminded me a little of Jane Eyre. It started off kind of slow but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. 
3. Once a Witch and Always a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough: I love books about witches. This series also included time travel which is another favorite genre of mine. 
4. The False Prince and The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen: These books were fantastic. I read them to my girls and they would beg me to read another chapter. They even had me reread passages because of how funny the main character is. I highly recommend reading them both. The only downfall is the last book in the trilogy doesn't come out till March 2014. 
5. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry: I'm not a hug fan of YA contemporary but all the positive reviews of this book pulled me in. I enjoyed Noah and Echo's story and am looking forward to reading Beth's story next. 

Emily's Picks:

6. Divergent by Veronica Roth. This book took me a little while to get into, but about half way in, I was hooked. I still need to read the second book, but I am holding off until the third one comes out.

7. The Light Between Oceans b ML Stedman.  I don't normaly pick books like this.  I tend to gravitate towards fantasy, or YA, or Jane Austen.  But I read some great reviews on this book and wanted to give it a try, and was glad that I did.  It's not a happy book by any means, but it is a book that makes you think!

8. Chalice by Robin McKinley. I love Robin Mckinley and was exicted to see some new books by her. I liked this one, it had her old flair in it, which I had been missing. 

9. Unearthly. By Cynthia Hand. I haven't been a huge fan of Angels and Fallen Angels, and their half angel off spring..but I liked this book.  It was interesting and I would give this series a go.

10. A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russel #2) by Laurie R King. I loved the first book in this series, The Beekeepers Apprentice.  It's about Sherlock Holmes after retirment. And a young women very much Sherlock, but who is suprising in a lot of ways as well.  I liked the second book.  It was entertaining.  I enjoy the relationship between Holmes and Russel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment