Thursday, May 2, 2013

Emily's Review: The Haunting Of Alaizabel Cray

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray
by Chris Wooding
This book is based in a London that has been infested by creatures that lurk in the shadows and who feast on the good citizens there.  The only thing keeping these fearful creepy crawlies away? A few good men/women who will brave the Old Quarter of the city and fight off the evil.  They are called wych hunters. One of these is a young, but fierce fighter, Thaniel.  He has seen much in his few short years and he has a lot too prove.  He encounters a demon possessed but beautiful girl on one his hunts, her name is Alaizbel, and although he knows he should kill her, there is something about this girl that stops him. This decision will change the course of not only his life, but the entire city of London.  This is my first jaunt into the world of horror, gothic, steampunk..whatever you want to call this book.  I loved every minute.  I liked the hero.  He struggles through out the book to come out of his father's shadow and make a mark of his own in this world that his knows.  I loved the humanity that is shown, even though there is horror in this book.  I loved that it was creepy. I loved the twists and turns in this book, the creatures were evil and scary and had me hiding in me covers a couple of times.  This book was lyrical and beautiful, even though there was horror, and graphic scenes of death.  The world building was immediate and I felt invested in the fates of Thaniel and Alaizabel.  I also thought that each character in the book were worth something to the story and were not throw away characters.  They each served a purpose.  Which is a mark of a great author, in my opinion.

If you want a great read, and you aren't sure where to start in the steampunk world, pick up this book.

I would give The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray 5 out of 5 foxes

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment