Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday Friendly Visitor: MaryAnn

Friday Friendly Visitor: MaryAnn


Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West 
by Gregory MaguireOverviewWhen Dorothy triumphed over the Wicked Witch of the West in L. Frank Baum's classic tale, we heard only her side of the story. But what about her arch-nemesis, the mysterious witch? Where did she come from? How did she become so wicked? And what is the true nature of evil?Gregory Maguire creates a fantasy world so rich and vivid that we will never look at Oz the same way again. Wicked is about a land where animals talk and strive to be treated like first-class citizens, Munchkinlanders seek the comfort of middle-class stability and the Tin Man becomes a victim of domestic violence. And then there is the little green-skinned girl named Elphaba, who will grow up to be the infamous Wicked Witch of the West, a smart, prickly and misunderstood creature who challenges all our preconceived notions about the nature of good and evil.
My take- I read this book hoping to get some insight about the play.  A friend of mine told me that the play was better, but I thought I’d still give it a try. The first section of the book caught my interest, but when I moved to the next section I got confused.  It jumped from Elphaba being two years old to Galinda going to college.  For me, the time jump was baffling as it took a few pages into the section to find out how much time had passed.  Unfortunately, this was the case for every section and it turned me off to the story.  It was an interesting twist on a classic story that everyone knows and just goes to show that there are two sides to every story. 
 Movie rating would be R for some nudity and sexual context. 
My foxy rating is 2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment