Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thumbing Through the Past Thursday: Fever 1793

THUMBING THROUGH THE PAST: FEVER 1793

Thumbing Through the Past Thursday is a monthly book review of books published in 2000 or latter. We felt there are so many older books which get left in the past and forgotten. This is our attempt to bring those classics back to life. 

Fever 1793
By Laurie Halse Anderson
first published in September 2000

Camille's Skinny:

The Yellow Fever hits Philadelphia in 1793. Fifteen year old Matilda Cook, gets caught up in the devastation of the Fever. In this book, you follow her, and how she copes with the destruction of the Yellow Fever.
This book was amazing. Even though it was written for young adults, I suggest all should read this book. It takes you on a roller coaster of emotions. You cheer when she finds a hand full of beans. You cry when she finds a child crying for her dead mother. This book is beautifully written.
My foxy rating is 5.5 out of 5 foxes. This is one of the best books I've read.

Jeni's Take:

This book was on my TBR list forever. I'm glad I finally picked it up to read. It was amazing. It started off a little slow for me but then it took you on a crazy ride of emotions. I loved her relationship with her grandfather which made me miss mine. I love how Mattie finds the strength to keep going and how she helps others when she isn't really sure on how to help herself. Great book that I will have my girls read when they get a little older. My foxy rating 4.5 out of 5 foxes.

Emily's Take:

This book is not something I would have picked out on my own, which is the whole idea behind this day. I was a little unsure of this book to start out.  The main character started out as a typical whiny teenager, and I was worried that the lines of modern writing, were blurring with the past of 1793 a little too much.  But as the story developed, I began to see how the character grew.  Writing historical fiction can be tricky, and I thought Ms. Anderson did a fair job at it.  I would give this book 3.5 out of 5 foxes

No comments:

Post a Comment