Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Freebie

                  Top Ten Tuesday: Freebie


brought to you by the broke and the bookish

Jeni is out of the country this week, so it's just me. This week it's a freebie week, meaning we could pick our own top ten topic. (say that ten times).  I have chosen Top Ten Fantasy Books or Authors that I like. 

1. The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks. This is the second book in the Shannara series. I read this book when I was 15.  This book is long, as all his books tend to be.  It is sad, in a way. As in all High Fantasy novels, sacrafice is expected by the main characters, and the good guys have flaws, the should. I love the original Shannara books and would highly recommend them to anyone who hasn't tried High Fantasy yet.

2. The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. This book was again, a long book.  I will warn readers, Mr. Williams likes to discribe things in detail. But once you get past that, this book was a great read. It was creepy, and the main character in this book rises from a lowly kitchen scullion, to become a hero. 

3. The Riddle Master of Hed by Patricia A. Mckillip. Talk about a lyrical writer!  If you have not tried reading Patricia Mckillip pick up one of her books now.  Her writing is very stylized and beautiful.  No one writes like her.  Try this one out for size. 

4. The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan. This is like a mix of the hunger games and high fantasy.  I would give this a try if you are interested in either. 

5. The Eye of The World by Robert Jordan if you start this series, be prepared.  It's long and very involved.  I have yet to finish it.  I think I have made it to book seven and then quit.  But it's very well done.

6. Magician Apprentice: Raymond E. Feist this book was a mix of Scifi and fantasy.  It took me a little while to get use to this book, but I liked the series. 

7. Assassin's Apprentice: Robin Hobb. Fitz is born on the wrong side of the royal family, but he born with the ability to talk with animals.  He is also in need of a friend, he becomes trained as an assassin. This a newer high fantasy novel.  I liked the story and the transitions in the characters. 

8. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. This book brings back a lot of childhood memories.  I read the whole series while growing up.  And I watched the old PBS movies countless times.  I loved the books. 

 9. Silver Birch, Blood Moon: Editor Ellen Datlow. this is a anthology of stories written by various authors. I liked the previous ones and gave this a go. I would recommend this series of works by this editor.  It was entertaining and I found new authors to read by reading these books.

10. The Woodcutter by Kate Danley I got this book on my kindle.  It was surpising read.  I liked this mix up of all the fairy tales and enjoy the twists in this book. 

1 comment:

  1. The Riddle-Master of Hed and the other two books in that trilogy are my favorite fantasy books ever! I love them so much. I also really like Green Rider by Kristen Britain.

    ReplyDelete