Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sunday Special:Masque of the Red Death



Sunday Special is where all of us foxy girls read the same book and write a short review about it.

Masque of the Red Death
by Bethany Griffin


Jeni's Take:
I would describe this book as a dystopian steam-punk with a little bit of romance. I loved the dark and moody atmosphere of this book. The writing worked for me and the idea was intriguing.  I didn't like the drug use. Love triangles, how I hate them but I think this was the first one that I switched teams part way through the book. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series.
 Rating 4 out of 5 foxes

Camille's Skinny:

Death is a fearful thing. At times devastation can consume us to the point where life seems to mock us. In a world filled with a plague, Araby Worth feels the sting of her own life. Her brother died because of her and her father has become a slave for the King because of the masks he had invented. Araby falls into a life journey that may save not only her own life but of those she has started to love.
This book is a different book and it encouraged me to do some research. With the research I did find, Bethany, the author, got the idea for this book from an Edgar Allan Poe short story (Masque of the Red Death). I thought Bethany did a beautiful retelling of this story. It is a darker mood with steam-punk and Victorian influence marbled together. I love how she created such a weak female creature and built her to be this power house in this book. There are adult content with drug use and depression so I would steer young adults away from the book.
My foxy book review would be 5 out of 5 foxes.

Emily's Review

Araby Worth is introduced to us in the beginning of the book as a character who is seeking to drown herself in the world of intoxication.  The world around her is dying, and because of this everyone who can afford to, wear masks to protect themselves from evil air (if you study history this has a lot of interesting implications, actually) she isn't taking drugs to be healthy, but to become numb.  She has decided to become numb, because she feels guilt, she is alive and her brother is dead..I won't go into too much detail about this aspect of the book, but I found that part of her character annoying and confusing.  She never fully developed as a well rounded person, for myself. I didn't not understand her betrayal in this book.  I did not like the love triangle. I liked neither love interests.  I had a hard time with this book.  I could go into more detail, but won't in the interest of time. 

 I would give this book 2 out 5 foxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment